28 Dec 2014

Personality?

Describing ones personality is no easy task, with a vast number of traits and characteristics constantly shaping the way we interact with the environment, attaching a title to it is no easy task. Over the weekend I had the opportunity to get out of the city and make the 6 hour drive up north to my cottage for a yearly hunting trip. Finding myself with an immense amount of alone time both on the drive and in the forest, I began to ponder what I value most, and what traits I believe construct my personality.

Recalling Ernest Dichter’s, major motives for consumption I found many products I consume often were related to traits I look to satisfy, such as individuality, status, and companionship. Showing me that I may be quite susceptible to advertising efforts.

Looking at Trait Theory I find myself to be neither group of individualist oriented. I enjoy my alone time but still enjoy and often seek out social interaction. I love spending time in the kitchen, finding myself to be quite health-conscious, and avoid working long hours reinforcing my neutrality.

Perhaps the turning point in my self-examination was looking past the theory and realizing, as Freud said “Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.” I have a need for uniqueness and being on this hunting trip really depicts this point. Driving my habits and shaping my consumption patterns to satisfy this need and desire to have an experience precise to me.

This showing me that my lifestyle is made up of experiences like this trip and really showing me the impact experiencing has on my personality. I value experiences to a high degree, but also hold on to many materialistic possessions, I enjoy nice clothes and a clean car.

After the uneventful, yet thoughtful trip was over I came to the realization that my understanding of my personality is not important. But rather understanding ones values and desired lifestyle is the critical component in understanding why I consume and how.

Attached is a link to a video my friend produced showing the area around my cottage. As well it does a great job contrasting two sides of my personality, the outdoors as well as modern city living.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zOTyRf-FO4

No comments:

Post a Comment