2 Jan 2015

Christmas and Gift Giving

With the holiday season coming to a close and all of the stress seemingly a thing of the past, I have finally found time to reflect on the season. Having such a large and divided family I have three full day and night family Christmas’s to attend, this means gifts, and lots of them. Being uncharacteristically proactive this year on my gift search I was able to divulge a great deal of time and care in my purchasing efforts. First looking to purchase for my girlfriend, as we would be apart for Christmas and need to exchange gifts prematurely to Christmas.

Hoping to surpass last year’s gift I found myself highly motivated to purchase her something special. But in doing so I found myself to be taking on substantial stress and risk as I wanted to ensure it would be just right, while keeping in line with what she would get me. If I surpassed what she had given me I could make her feel bad for not getting enough or it could be too small not meeting her expectation. Using extended problem solving I began my extensive search for information consulting both my girlfriend and store personnel. After all of this I was finally ready to make my purchase hoping I had recognized and met her need.
After purchasing my girlfriends gift I certainly gained purchase momentum quickly buying gifts for the rest of my family. Once my gift gestation stage was complete I then wrapped he presents and waited for Christmas to come.

 Then the actual exchange took place and the reactions I both received and emulated raged quite a bit. Raging from gifts that marked a turning point in our relationships, showing me that the person has finally understood me and knows what I like. To gifts that reaffirmed poor relationships gifting me things that have no connection to me.

Overall the gift exchange process is a complicated one, with a wide range of both risk and emotions but ultimately is an experience unlike another. It allows people to connect and express their emotions through consumer goods and as well effects the economy in a big way.

No comments:

Post a Comment